"Indeed We created man, and We know what his own self whispers to him."

-Al-Qur'an 50:16-

Friday, August 04, 2006

A world of conflict


Identity isn't just something you struggle with during the tender years of adolescence. We are always a little bit awkward and constantly trying to find our niche in life. Well at least that's how it is with me, the only difference with me now and when I was 15 is that I've learnt to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. My race, religion, nationality, and ethnicity are really a jumbled mess that I'm always straightening out. Seems like different parts of my identity are at war and I'm forced to choose sides, but if I choose the other side will make me feel the guilt that comes with being a traitor.*sigh*You see my parents are Ethiopians that hate Ethiopia because of political and social persecution being inflicted on the Oromo ethnic group ( my ethnic) . Ethiopia is just another war torn African Nation that has western support to oppress its people. I'm also a Muslim and love my faith share a special bond and concern for people who share the same love for Islam. Islam says that all Muslims are brothers and sisters and need to share a mutual respect. One thing I'm going to state strongly is that I don't stand for hate mongering and the idea that Jewish people are some kind of evil race. I think that so much hate and self righteousness has taken a soluble situation and has made it a century long epic struggle of faith and God; It's become ridiculous. Inherited hate, bitterness, and grudges made the situation too complicated to unravel unless people make serious revisions to the way they perceive each other and the world.*sigh* So I was born somewhere in Europe and was raised in North America. I love my country and I'm thankful they gave my parents some where to rest after a life of adversity but I cant help but feel conflicted. You see my country is giving Ethiopia money for the same guns they used agaisnt my people and my family. I have a little problem with this situation here. Tell me what would you do?*sigh* ...There aren't enough sighs to expel all the frustration.

0 comments: